Skip to main content

Thinking activity on MATTHEW ARNOLD...

Here is the task link....

"Matthew Arnold" - English Victorian poet, literary & social critic, noted especially for his classical attacks on the contemporary tastes & manners of the "BARBARIANS", the "PHILISTINES" & the "POPULACE". He became the apostle of "Culture" in such works as "Culture & Anarchy."

He could be called "the critic's critic", being a champion not only of great poetry , but of literary Criticism itself.
The purpose of literary Criticism, in his view was to know the best that is known & thought in the world, & by in its turn making this known, to create a current of true & fresh ideas & he has influenced a whole school of critics including new critics such as .... T.S Eliot, F.R Leavis & Allen Tate.

He was the founder of the Sociological school of Criticism & through his "TOUCHSTONE" Method interested scientific objectivity to critical evaluation by providing comparison & analysis as the 2 primary tools of Criticism.


◆Write about one idea of MATTHEW ARNOLD which you find interesting & relevant in your time?
I think the principle of "Disinterestedness" or "Detachment" given by Matthew Arnold is interesting & relevant in recent times.
It is really important to understand a literary work completely than giving judgement. And one should not be attached emotionally with the thing & should judge or do what is right & should be free from the prejudices ...either personal or historical.

For Example:-
A doctor should detach the emotional self while operating patients , else the doctor might make mistake due to emotional attachment with patient.



◆ Write about one idea of MATTHEW ARNOLD which you find out of date & irrelevant in your time?
Arnold's "TOUCHSTONE" method is not so relevant & rather inappropriate in present time. To judge one age's Literary work which is good with another age's Literary work which has in a different times,ideas & thinking. It's not applicable, it's becomes complicated so it's not acceptable nowadays.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's all about ME..!!

"Be who you are & say what you feel, because those who mind don't Matter & those who matter don't mind. "   Hello everyone, First of all I'm very much thankful to you as well as glad for giving me an opportunity to present myself.  According to this quote, here I want to say something about me. Myself VIDHYA PANDYA . I'm just 21. I'm a single child of my parents & from India living in Gujarat, Bhavnagar. I've completed my graduation in Bhavnagar university & now doing my masters in " Department of English " I'm very amiable & sympathetic girl. As I told you previously that I'm a single child of my parents, so they treated me like a boy & gives me the permission that what I would like the most.They both are wants to make me as potent &  athletic as possible. I'm very proud for them. So, That's the only brief introduction about me, so now the time is that...... Let me tel...

Doctor Faustus by Cristopher Marlowe

"Doctor Faustus" is the most famous play written by Christopher Marlowe. Christopher Marlowe  It's directed by Matthew Dunster  . The error of judgement I can see in this whole play. Here, I am going to discuss about four questions. Which is asked by our sir in class here, I'm attaching the blog link of task. 1.The Play director by Matthew Dunster for globe theater ends with this scene...What does it signify? Obviously, It's indeed a scene that when Lucifer is celebrating his marvelous victory in the end of the play. According to the Christian morality, when someone repenting upon their sin then God gives them forgiveness. But here in this play the Christian morality doesn't work. Here evil wins at the end of the play. In this whole play, we can see the full of wavering of Doctor Faustus. In the end of the play Lucifer wins in tempting Doctor Faustus with the help of Mephistophilis. In the last scene Doctor Faustus feels regret but it's too much...

ELT 1 task on Bilingualism, Trilingualism & Multilingualism....

Hello Everyone., Here is my very first task on ELT - 1 which our madam gives us ....from the Department of English , MKBU. The task is upon the Translation of Phrase into various languages in terms of {Bilingualism, Trilingualism & Multilingualism} . The task is given in below link.... https://vaidehi09.blogspot.com/2018/06/bilingualism-trilingualism-and.html So, What is the meaning of these 3 words .... Let see... 1.Bilingualism :- Speaking two languages of equal fluency. 2. Trilingualism :- Speaking three languages of equal fluency. 3.Multilingualism :- Speaking more than one language either by individual or by community. As per the task I find some phrase and also convert into various languages. So here is my various phrase and because of the too much affection towards singing a song i would find some of the examples from bollywood movie's songs. 1. I love you:- ◆ French : Je t'aime  The example is given below through this bollywood song.....